Text from www.redseashares.com, website designed and written by Elissa Cottle
WHY DO BUSINESS IN DJIBOUTI, AFRICA?
The Port of Djibouti is of international renown offering competitive services to import-export business leaders.
The port is strategically located at the crossroads of one of the busiest shipping routes in the world, linking Europe, the Far East, the Horn of Africa and the Persian Gulf.
Growing Cargo Volumes: Since 2010, cargo shipped from the Port of Djibouti has more than doubled, from 425,000 containers or TEUs (20- by 8-foot equivalent units) to nearly 990,000 TEUs per year, and from 2.8 million metric tons of cargo without containers to 6.5 million metric tons per year. Vessel calls at the Port of Djibouti have increased from 1,550 per year to 1,841.
Certified International Quality: The Port of Djibouti is certified by the International Organization for Standardization (ISO), meeting ISO's high-quality standards for strong customer focus, motivated top managers, and a solid process to continually improve. In other words, Port of Djibouti customers get consistent, high quality products and services, boosting their business.
For more information visit portdedjibouti.com.
Besides Djibouti's broad intercontinental market access by sea, Djibouti is in the heart of the Common Market for Eastern and Southern Africa (COMESA), which includes more than 350 million people.
ONE STOP SHOP to start your company in Djibouti
The registration of your company in Djibouti can be done in three days!
The National Investment Promotion Agency (NIPA) of Djibouti walks business leaders through all the legal and administrative steps needed to efficiently and successfully launch a business in this country.
The agency also facilitates residential and work visas for approved foreign investors. NIPA is particularly interested in the growth of tourism and manufacturing in Djibouti, and can assist all types of lawful business to get underway.
Find NIPA online at djiboutinvest.com.
GOVERNMENT INCENTIVES encourage specific industries:
- Processing of products from plants and animals
- Offshore fishing and processing of seafood products
- Mining and processing metal products and training miners
- Research, processing and storage of energy sources and the refining of hydrocarbons
- Creation and operation of mechanical, electrical and chemical businesses
- Shipbuilding and transport services by land, sea and air
- Manufacturing of product packaging
- Engineering and technology database consulting
- Construction of housing and industrial, commercial and tourism sites
- Construction and operation of educational and training institutions
- Corporate investments greater than U.S. $280,000 that create permanent jobs are exempt from license and registration fees, property taxes and profit taxes.
- Imported raw materials for manufacturing are exempt from consumption tax for up to 10 years.
- Corporate investors may freely import all goods, equipment, materials and products for their business.
- An international airport
- Technology for a wide array of telecommunication services
- A strong network of roads to deliver goods to Ethiopia and Somalia
- Railway lines connecting the Port of Djibouti to the Ethiopian capital of Addis Ababa, covering a distance of 781 kilometers (485 miles)
- A successful banking network of subsidiaries of major foreign financial institutions conducts day-to-day banking operations in Djibouti. The U.S. dollar is equivalent to about 178,000 Djiboutian francs (FDJ).
Employers find qualified workers from Djibouti's National Employment Agency in Charge of Training and Professional Integration (ANEFIP), which maintains a database of Djiboutian job seekers, and provides jobtraining and other helpful human resources. For more details visit anefip.dj.
- Sixty percent of Djibouti's population is composed of young and middle aged adults.
- Djibouti's total population of 914,000 is on a steady increase of about 2.5% per year.
- Djibouti's legal minimum working age is 16. The legal work week is 48 hours.
Find the Republic of Djibouti government online at presidence.dj.